Anglo-Chinese gardens of Europe : Sweden

temple de l'écho au Haga en contours


The Haga Park


map of the park


The Haga Park is at the northern boundary of Stockholm, 3 miles away from dowtown.


The king Gustavus III of Sweden had bought the Haga external link in 1771. With the aid of architect Fredrik Magnus Piper external link , he began to carry out an Anglo-Chinese garden, Old Haga.

Guest of the Désert de Retz for six weeks in 1784, infinitely allured, he requested drawings of the fabriques from M. de Monville, which he accepted in 1785. He choose French artists to extend the park of Haga and add magnificent buildings (during the same journey he also visited Ermenonville and Petit Trianon. He received from Marie-Antoinette a port-folio of draws of Petit Trianon that she granted to important visitors; this set, one of the three known, is now in the Royal Library in Stockholm).

Architect Louis Jean Desprez had to build an ambitious Museum Palace, to house the King's collection of antique Roman statues. But the building stopped with the murder of the king by a fanatic noble in 1792 and only cellars remain, looking like ruins.

The King's Pavilion was completed in 1792, just before his death. The pavilion took the place of former Brahelund estate in the extension of the park. It had been built by Olof Templeman and decorated by Louis Masreliez. The King cooperated closely to the design, and wrote himself many notes on the drawings.
The pavilion is still perfectly preserved and furnished, as a national treasury. It has been refurbished in the mid of 19th century and again in 1948, with in mind the challenge of restoring perfectly the design of 1792.

Tents in copper (Koppartälten) external link, the temple of Echo external link, a Turkish and a Chinese pavilions, all built from 1786 to 1790, also stand in the park.

haut de la page


Map of the Haga

King Gustavus III
(red numbers):

1 - King's pavilion
(Gustavus III pavilion)
2 - Turkish pavilion
3 - Chinese pavilion
4 - Temple of echo
5 - Tents made of copper
6 - Basement of unfinished palace
(called "the Ruins")

Other buildings (black numbers) :

7 - Queen's pavilion (called "Residence")
8 - 9 gates
10 - Botanical gardens,
greenhouses, butterflies


plan of Haga

The Queen's pavilion, built in 1802-1804, where guests of the Government are accommodated, is therefore called "Haga Slott". Don't mistake with Haga Slott external link, a luxury hotel near Enköping, in a castle of the XVIIth century.


haut de la page


Le Haga : tente en cuivre

Le Haga :

Tents out of kopper (Koppartälten)


Intérieur de la tente en cuivre principale


Inside the main tent, a coffee shop

Le Haga : pavillon Gustave III

Le Haga : pavillon Gustave III

The Gustave III' pavilion, west side

The pavilion, east side

Le Haga : temple de l'Echo

Le Haga : pavillon Gustave III

Temple of echo (Ekotemplet)

The pavilion and the temple


Le Haga : embarcadère et Brunnsviken


The Brunnsviken seen from the Temple

Le Haga : pavillon turc

Pavillon turc du Haga

The Turkish Pavilion

Inside the Turkish pavilion

Kiosque chinois du Haga

Vue sur le Brunnsviken

The Chinese Kiosk

The Brunnsviken


Le Haga : embarcadère et Brunnsviken


The Brunnsviken and the warf close to the Temple of echo

Le Haga : pavillon Gustave III

Le Haga : pavillon Gustave III

The Haga Park is really an English garden


Vue panoramique du Haga


The Haga Park seen from the opposite shore of the Brunnsviken -on the left, the Chines kiosk, in the middle the tents out of copper.
The Royal Pavilion is half shadowed by the trees.

haut de la page

How to get there

Bus 515, strating from Odenplan; stop Haga Norra. From Monday to Friday the bus 70 also stops there. Free entrance, closed at night.
Coffe shop in the main copper tent. The Royal Pavilion is note opened. The butterfly greenhouses may be visited at the price of a fee.

The Park of Haga are a part of the Ekoparken externe, wide linked forest parks surrounding the town of Stockholm and melted in its urban district. During the summer, boats to rover allround.



Kindest acknowledgments to the Curator of the Haga, for his extensive documentation (1999)

top of page backback table of content homepage  

external link : external links



Copyright of the author : Dominique Césari
Last update : February the 10th, 2015